I love sweet and savory dishes, especially ones that include cheese!
My absolute favorite is a pear and blue cheese salad, but from time to time you have to indulge!
I decided to take my favorite salad ingredients and turn it into something a little more luxurious. This recipe is simple and take minimal effort. Blue cheese is the perfect accompaniment not only for the sweet pear, but also for the bold Organic Keemun Imperial tea!
Ingredients (serves 2, appetizer portions):
– Puff pastry sheets cut into 2 – 4 inch squares
– 1 whole forelle pear (or any pear of your choice) sliced into about 1 cm thin slices
– 1/8 of a red onion sliced very thin
– 2 table spoons of blue cheese crumbled
– 1 cm pad of butter
– 1 tsp brown sugar
– dash of salt
1. Measure and cut the puff pastry. Allow the puff pastry to defrost for at least 30 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. While the puff pastry is thawing, prepare your pear by slicing it in half then into 1 cm thick slices lengthwise.
3. Heat a non-stick pan on low and place the butter in the pan, allow the butter to melt.
4. Pre-heat your oven to 400 F.
5. Once the butter is melted, add in the pear slices, a dash of salt and brown sugar. Mix the pears in the butter and sugar until softened, for about 6-8 minutes. Once the pear has softened to desired texture remove from pan to cool.
6. Place the same pan on low heat and add in the thinly sliced onions, mix often and allow the onion to brown and caramelize. Remove the onions from the pan and allow them to cool.
7. By this time your puff pastry sheets should be defrosted, score gently with a knife, trying not to go through the puff pastry sheet. If the knife goes gently through without pressure, this means the puff pastry is thawed.
8. Sprinkle on about 1 blue cheese divided between the two sheets of blue cheese.
9. Assemble the pears evenly over the cheese then sprinkle on the onions.
10. Lightly brush the crust with egg wash or olive oil.
11. Sprinkle on the remainder of the blue cheese over the onion and pears.
12. Place the baking sheet on the middle rack – set your timer for 8 minutes. At the end of the 8 minutes, turn your baking sheet and place it on the top rack for another 8 minutes. Your puff pastry will have risen and browned now, you can remove from the oven and let the puff pastries sit on the baking sheet while you prepare your tea!